Tuesday, July 27, 2010

mmm coconut...

What I look like when I'm cooking (of course)... ahem.

For some time now I have been on the search for a home-made alternative to the heinz fruit stick. Those of you with small children will know that these are like crack cocaine for toddlers. I only have to mention the words fruit stick and Minty will basically do whatever I ask her to. I do however feel somewhat uneasy about feeding her something so frighteningly processed, not to mention the fact that they are ridiculously expensive and virtually sending me broke.


My latest attempt at a replacement is Bill Ganger's coconut and chocolate slice from his book Feed me now! This recipe is really quick and downright delicious. I almost didn't bother writing this post because I was too busy chomping these babies down.


After a quick google search I discovered various sites claiming coconut as the cure for everything from AIDs and goiter to sore throats and constipation. So while these do have a bit of sugar and chocolate in them, I am marking them down in the healthy column.


And as an added bonus the slice is nut free so I can safely take it as a snack to playgroup. Hooray!



250g unsweetened desiccated coconut

220g caster sugar

100g melted butter

2 eggs lightly beaten

150g dark chocolate cut into pieces


Preheat the oven to 180C. In a large bowl mix the sugar and coconut. Add the butter and eggs and stir to combine. Mix in the chocolate. Press into a baking tray (20x30cm) lined with baking paper. Bake for 20mins. Allow to cool in tray for 5mins. Cut into squares. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.


And now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to eat another piece...

2 comments:

  1. There was a shop near us dedicated to coconut products and the numerous health benefits! I use organic coconut oil as an all over moisturizer. It's great stuff, cleared up my horrid combination skin on my face, no more pimples! Even tho it's oil! great that it's all natural. Oil great for stirfrys or I put a spoon in my porridge too. Bit weird hey! Yummy looking slice.

    ReplyDelete