Friday, July 9, 2010

In which I perform a minor miracle...


I have made an amazing discovery. I'm practically Chris Columbus. If you can all cast your minds back a few months you'll remember my 5 minute bread fiasco (five minute, schmive minute!). This time I've found a bread recipe that actually lives up to it's claims.


Enter 3 minute spelt bread.


I shit you not people, this bread literally takes 3 minutes to make. All you have to do is throw everything in the bowl, mix it up and put it straight in the oven. There is no kneading, no rising time, no slashing the bread, sprinkling of polenta, no swearing or flicking of the wrist as you attempt to slide an uncooperative loaf onto a pizza stone. Not since Jesus turned water into wine has there been such a culinary miracle. I don't know how it works but it really does.


And perhaps the most exciting thing about all this is that the bread actually tastes good. Everyone in the family liked it, including my notoriously picky husband. Minty even went so far as attempting to pick a piece of it back out of my mouth while shouting, 'Don't eat it!! It's MINE!!' It's a bit like one of those fancy loaves you pay $6 for at the health food store. And you know what? Even if it had taken me three hours instead of three minutes I would be planning to make it again.




So without further ado here is my adaptation of the recipe from The Daily Telegraph (I only had 400g of spelt flour on hand so I've adjusted the quantities for a smaller loaf and omitted the sunflower seeds)


400g spelt flour

40g linseeds

40g sesame seeds

1/2 teaspoon salt

8g fast acting dry yeast

400ml warm water


Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Mix all ingredients, adding the water last. Put into greased loaf tin. Bake in oven for 1 hour. Remove the loaf, turn it out of the tin and then return it to the oven without the tin for a further 5-10mins.


Seriously that is all you have to do. Try it.

2 comments:

  1. Can you bring a loaf to Mum's b'day party next weekend? I'd like to try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks really wholesome - can imagine it with soup. I like the above suggestion.

    ReplyDelete