Saturday, July 17, 2010

Honey Toast Cupcakes


After the underwhelming response to the cupcake vote I decided I was heading down the wrong path. I was feeling uninspired. Though all my original flavour choices would probably have been great they just didn't feel like they suited my mum. You see mum is a bit of a health nut. She power walks every day, does pilates and weights, eats a salad every day for lunch and hardly ever consumes anything even remotely unhealthy. Her one vice is honey toast. She can't get enough of the suff. If by some bizarre turn of events she ended up on death row I suspect she would even request it as her last meal. So after a flash of inspiration I set about trying to create a honey toast cupcake.


I started out with a honey cupcake recipe from Martha Stewart. I've simplified it a little because I didn't want to complicate the honey flavour with lemon or cinnamon. Originally I was going to frost these with honey buttercream but decided the honey flavour in the cake was dominant enough so I opted for a plain buttercream. What makes these honey 'toast' cupcakes as opposed to just a honey cupcake is the topping. I was inspired by the process used for making bread and butter ice-cream (check out my method below). Oh and in case you were wondering, these cakes are absolutely in no way healthy or low-fat (it's a birthday after all so I point blank refuse to scrimp on calories).


These are the mini version of the cakes I made for the kiddies and dieters


Honey cupcakes - Adapted from Martha Stewart's Cupcakes


250g cake flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 large eggs

112.5g caster sugar

50g brown sugar

212.5g honey

1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup vegetable oil


Preheat oven to 160 C.
Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Mix with a whisk.
Combine eggs and sugars on a high speed in an electric mixer until pale and thick.
Add the honey and mix until well combined.
Add the milk and oil. Mix until well combined.
Add the flour to the wet mixture in two batches. Mix until everything is just combined. Avoid over mixing.
Fill cupcake pans 3/4 full. Bake for approx. 25 mins.


Buttercream Frosting

113.5g slightly softened butter

450g icing sugar

1/4 cup milk


Whip the butter in your electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Add half the sugar and mix again until combined. Add a little of the milk if needed to help incorporate the sugar. Slowly add the remaining sugar and continue mixing. Gradually add the milk 1 tablespoon at a time until you reach the desired consistency.


Topping


80g brown bread crumbed in food processor

80g brown sugar


Preheat the oven to 200C. Liberally grease a baking tray with butter. Sprinkle tray with bread crumbs and sugar. Combine with your hands. Place in oven for approx 12 minutes. Turn the crumbs a couple of times during cooking to avoid sticking. The crumbs will become crisp and golden. Avoid overcooking because they will become bitter.



Happy Birthday Mum! I hope you enjoyed your cupcakes!

2 comments:

  1. Aww man I can't believe I missed out on honey toast cupcakes! They look delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved my cupcakes and feel doubly honoured to have a cupcake specially created for me! They were absolutely delicious. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete