Tuesday, March 30, 2010

in which we bake 'healthy' cookies


I really wasn't planning on baking today. I had lots of other projects and housework in mind but when I asked Minty what she wanted to do, she decided she wanted to bake cookies. I'd really like to foster a love of food and cooking in my kids so I wasn't about to say no. Not that I really need much encouragement to bake!

This is my go-to recipe for quick and wholesome cookies at the moment. I won't try and pretend they are completely healthy but they at least have some dried fruit and oats in them!! I found the recipe a while ago somewhere on a parenting forum so I can't give you a source (sorry!).


Sultana oat cookies


1 cup self-raising flour

1 cup Carman's Toasted Muesli (it's expensive....but reallllly worth it. The smallest box has lasted us about 5 batches of these cookies....so worth it)

1 cup Sunbeam Sultanas

3/4 cup Uncle Tobys Rolled Oats

1/2 cup brown sugar

125g butter, melted

1 egg, lightly beaten

1 tbsp honey

Preheat oven to 190C or 170C fan. Line two baking trays with baking paper.

Place dry ingredients in a large bowl and toss to combine. Combine butter, egg and

honey and add to dry ingredients. Mix well.

Drop 2 tbsp of mixture onto prepared trays. Press lightly with the back of a fork.

Bake for 10-12 mins, until golden. Cool on trays before storing in an airtight container.


These freeze really well too. You can either flash freeze them (freeze them on trays before baking and then put them in a zip lock bag when they are hard. You'll obviously need to increase your baking time when you use them) or freeze them after they're baked (just pop one in the microwave for about 20 seconds to thaw it out).

2 comments:

  1. Yum! Worth breaking my low cholesterol diet for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look so yummy! Would have good fibre content and be more filling than standard cookies if we're looking for health benefits! Must try them.

    ReplyDelete